Did you hear "they" added a ninth night of Hanukkah? It's the night when people pack in all of the Hanukkah activities they couldn't fit into the eight nights of Hanukkah. Ok, so there really is no ninth night of Hanukkah, but I had a five pound bag of potatoes sitting on my counter for over a week that was purchased specifically to make latkes and I just never got around to making them. So, tonight Claire and I made latkes. I figured if I enlisted her help in making the latkes, she'd be more likely to try one. I was correct!
Claire was by my side in the kitchen as I peeled the potatoes, then used the food processor to grate them. She helped by adding the eggs to the bowl and using the pepper mill to add the perfect amount of pepper. Claire also supervised the mixing and frying.
Once the latkes were cool enough, Claire tried a bite and liked it (I kept telling her that French fries are made of potatoes, so the latkes would taste kind of like French fries.). She ate a whole latke for dinner and said it tasted like...a French fry.
When my husband arrived home from work, he and Claire played dreidel. So...we were able to check the remaining two Hanukkah activities off of our list during the ninth night of Hanukkah: making/eating latkes and playing dreidel.
Hanukkah is officially over.

No comments:
Post a Comment