Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Fattigman

One our our oldest family traditions is making fattigman for Christmas every December. My father made fattigman with his family when he was a child (My mother ate fattigman at relatives' homes, but she never made them at her childhood home.). I imagine that my paternal grandparents made them growing up in Norway when they were children. I'm not sure if the tradition goes beyond that, but it just might.

We have made fattigman every year since I can remember, sitting around my parents' kitchen table. My dad was the expert roller for years and years, but now my brother has proven to be a very capable roller himself. I have really just been a worker bee all these 30-something years, simply acting as a twister. My mom, brother and sister in law did all of the frying this year and what a superb job they did! I don't fry and my dad got out of it because Baby Peter was conveniently napping on him. : )


The Dough

Rolled Dough Cut into Diamonds

The Twisted Fattigman Chilling on the Porch

The Finished Product
Fattigman - "Poor Man's Cookies"

No comments:

Post a Comment