It was time for Claire's 6 month dental check-up today. She usually loves going to the dentist! Unfortunately, this time was not 100% positive in her eyes. Things started out fine. She put on pink sunglasses and got some "lipstick" on her lips. Then, a hygenist whisked her off to another room for x-rays (The last time she got x-rays, a year ago, Claire cried. She didn't understand what they were asking her to do as far as putting the x-ray film in her mouth and clenching down on it in a certain way.). After a few minutes of not having her in my sight, I walked over to the room where she was and she was sobbing. I went in and hugged her and asked her what was wrong. No answer, just crying. I asked her if she understood what she was supposed to do with the x-ray film? She sobbed, "Nooooo." The other hygenist came in and said she would do the x-rays (I guess she was more experienced working with young children.). A few minutes later, the x-rays were done and a smile returned to Claire's face.
After a teeth cleaning and some flossing, we went to see the dentist in another room. She conducted an exam, then applied fluoride, which Claire was not happy about. Apparently, it's not the great tasting fluoride I remember as a kid, but a sticky textured fluoride. If I said that Claire did not enjoy this it would be a complete understatement. She complained about being thirsty during the ride home, then wouldn't drink when we got home. I bribed her with pizza for lunch and, pretty soon, she was back to herself.
**I'm happy to report that Claire did not have any cavities and we got a score of "2" (based on a 0-18 scale with 0 being the best) for our brushing based on the amount of plaque on Claire's teeth. We will shoot for a "0" next time. : )

No comments:
Post a Comment